FacebookYoutube 

Take Two



“I prefer to find a new ingredient or method, play with it awhile, and then take what inspiration it has given me to make something fun!”
 Danny Boome Goes Back to School
British-born television talent Danny Boome was once a professional ice hockey player and trained as a chef before finding a niche on screen in a Canadian cookery show, which led to appearances on both the UK Food Channel and Rescue Chef on Food Network here in the States. Now, as a food correspondent for ABC’s daytime lifestyle show The Chew, Boome travels thecountry to sample delicious dishes.
One of his favorite assignments for the show was covering the King Richard’s Faire in Massachusetts.
“Two-pound turkey legs, honey mead, and costumes—count me in!” he says. Another was learning how to make artisan cheese from a master cheese maker in Wisconsin. Recently, Boome has been speaking, cooking, and teaching in schools and communities across
the country and beyond, helping empower people to make healthful choices through his

nonprofit organization Better FED Than Dead. “Schools and parents are open to change, but
the process for change is slow. But small changes can help, such as when the PTA and the Department of Education bring in whole grain breads and pastas instead of white.”
Working long hours forces Boome to be diligent about keeping his own health on track.
“I always eat breakfast, keep my portions small, and balance good eating with regular exercise, including running and boxing.”

What are your top five favorite cookbooks or cooking technique books?
I don’t really read that many cookbooks, as I am a practical cook. I prefer to find a new ingredient or method, play with it awhile, and then take what inspiration it has given me to make something fun! But to give an answer, a pair of cookbooks by British food hero Hugh Fearnley- Whittingstall, The River Cottage Meat Book and The River Cottage Cookbook. Also, Larousse Gastronomique. Every cook in the world should have this book—it’s a chef’s bible!

What kitchen appliance do you use most and for what?
I am a big fan of the T-fal ActiFry. It’s perfect for making sweet potato fries and awesome chicken fajitas. (Editor’s note: Boome likes the product so much that he’s a brand ambassador.)

What kitchen gadget couldn’t you live without?
A corkscrew!

If you had to limit your spice rack to five spices, which would they be and why?
Ginger, pepper, sea salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. These are the only spices I have in my home
kitchen. I really have to go the grocery store.

What single dish or food could you not livewithout?
Roast chicken. It always makes me think of home and my family around the table together.

What dish do your family and friends request most?
The family loves my braised leg of lamb with Basque red wine sauce and Dijon mashed potatoes. My go-to dish for parties is my gourmet mac and cheese, which has a special fondue
sauce.
 Michele Deppe

0 التعليقات:

Post a Comment